Share This

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Road Less Traveled And Other Paths

Tea plantation in China


“If being loved is your goal, you will fail to achieve it.  The only way to be assured of being loved is to be a person worthy of love, and you cannot be a person worthy of love when your primary goal in life is to passively be loved.” ~ Scott Peck


Footbridge in the forest of Mt. Rainier National Park in Washington • Stephen Penland Landscape Photography by MyohoDane

“Yet it is in this whole process of meeting and solving problems that life has its meaning.  Problems are the cutting edge that distinguishes between success and failure.  Problems call forth our courage and our wisdom; indeed, they create our courage and our wisdom.  It is only because of problems that we grow mentally and spiritually.  When we desire to encourage the growth of the human spirit, we challenge and encourage the human capacity to solve problems, just as in school we deliberately set problems for our children to solve.  It is through the pain of confronting and resolving problems that we learn.  As Benjamin Franklin said, ‘Those things that hurt, instruct.’  It is for this reason that wise people learn not to dread but actually to welcome problems and actually to welcome the pain of problems.” ~ Scott Peck

Coniston, Lake District, England

Cornish Lane in Summer | por vintage 1953 & wackymoomin   Cualquier parecido con la portada.....

.Country home...take me home...to the place...I belong...

“We cannot solve life’s problems except by solving them.  This statement may seem idiotically tautological or self-evident, yet it is seemingly beyond the comprehension of much of the human race.  This is because we must accept responsibility for a problem before we can solve it.  We cannot solve a problem by saying ‘It’s not my problem.’ We cannot solve a problem by hoping that someone else will solve it for us.  I can solve a problem only when I say ‘ This is my problem and it’s up to me to solve it.’  But many, so many, seek to avoid the pain of their problems by saying to themselves: ‘This problem was caused me by other people, or by social circumstances beyond my control, and therefore it is up to other people or society to solve this problem for me.  It is not really my personal problem.’  The extent to which people will go psychologically to avoid assuming responsibility for personal problems, while always sad, is sometimes almost ludicrous.” ~ Scott Peck

Fall & Thanksgiving

mikicis: Tuscany, Italy|SourceLNAG|MVC Foto|Instagram|EyeEm

“Everyone in our culture desires to some extent to be loving, yet many are not in fact loving.  I therefore conclude that the desire to love is not itself love.  Love is as love does.  Love is an act of will – namely, both an intention and an action.  Will also implies choice.  We do not have to love.  We choose to love.  No matter how much we may think we are loving, if we are in fact not loving, it is because we have chosen not to love and therefore do not love despite our good intentions.” ~ Scott Peck

Country Lane, Cumbria, England

Beautiful Country Road.

“Great marriages cannot be constructed by individuals who are terrified by their basic aloneness, as so commonly is the case, and seek a merging in marriage.  Genuine love not only respects the individuality of the other but actually seeks to cultivate it, even at the risk of separation or loss.  The ultimate goal of life remains the spiritual growth of the individual, the solitary journey to peaks that can be climbed only alone.” ~ Scott Peck

Passo dello Stelvio, Eastern Alps, Italy

Lovely Autumn in the country.
“When I genuinely love I am extending myself, and when I am extending myself I am growing.  The more I love, the longer I love, the larger I become.  Genuine love is self-replenishing.  The more I nurture the spiritual growth of others, the more my own spiritual growth is nurtured.  I am a totally selfish human being.  I never do something for somebody else but that I do it for myself.  And as I grow through love, so grows my joy, ever more present, ever more constant.” ~ Scott Peck
Mountain Valley, Belluno, Italy

“Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult – once we truly understand and accept it – then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.” ~ Scott Peck

Jacaranda Trees.Longden Avenue, TC

“My feelings of love may be unbounded, but my capacity to be loving is limited.  I therefore must choose the person on whom to focus my capacity to love, toward whom to direct my will to love.  True love is not a feeling by which we are overwhelmed.  It is a committed, thoughtful decision.” ~ Scott Peck

Facebook

bluepueblo:  Forest Stairs, Ukraine photo via janice

“Love is not simply giving; it is judicious giving and judicious withholding as well.  It is judicious praising and judicious criticizing.  It is judicious arguing, struggling, confronting, urging, pushing and pulling in addition to comforting.  It is leadership.  The word ‘judicious’ means requiring judgment, and judgment requires more than instinct; it requires thoughtful and often painful decision making.” ~ Scott Peck

Amber ambiance whereby upon entering one becomes curious and then the frost bitten trees shed light upon the pathway.  The passage creates a warm sense of mind, a gentle breeze, an instrumental feeling of bliss.

Country road

“We are incapable of loving another unless we love ourselves, just as we are incapable of teaching our children self-discipline unless we ourselves are self-disciplined.  It is actually impossible to forsake our own spiritual development in favor of someone else’s.  We cannot forsake self-discipline and at the same time be disciplined in our care for another.  We cannot be a source of strength unless we nurture our own strength.  I believe that not only do self-love and love of others go hand in hand but that ultimately they are indistinguishable.” ~ Scott Peck

Fall Hike at South Mountains State Park in North Carolina near Asheville http://www.romanticasheville.com/south_mountains.htm

mirkwood | via Tumblr

Glade Creek Swinging Bridge at Babcock State Park in West Virginia 10-11-2014 by Ed Rehbein Photography

“The more honest one is, the easier it is to continue being honest, just as the more lies one has told, the more necessary it is to lie again.  By their openness, people dedicated to the truth live in the open, and through the exercise of their courage to live in the open, they become free from fear.” ~ Scott Peck

Goblin forest, New Zealand

robin hood's forest.

Detty

“If your goal is to avoid pain and escape suffering, I would not advise you to seek higher levels of consciousness or spiritual evolution.  First, you cannot achieve them without suffering, and second, insofar as you do achieve them, you are likely to be called on to serve in ways more painful to you, or at least demanding of you, than you can now imagine.  Then why desire to evolve at all, you may ask.  If you ask this question, perhaps you do not know enough of joy.” ~ Scott Peck



skov

Japan. Cherry blossoms.

When we avoid the legitimate suffering that results from dealing with problems, we also avoid the growth that problems demand from us.  It is for this reason that in chronic mental illness we stop growing, we become stuck.  And without healing, the human spirit begins to shrivel.” ~ Scott Peck

Foggy pathway...I love this picture!

Craggy Gardens on Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville, North Carolina • photo: July04Girl on WunderPhotos

Dooly Sods in West Virginia

“The attempt to avoid legitimate suffering lies at the root of all emotional illness.” ~ Scott Peck

If I were Snow White, I'd have a stone stepped path leading up to my summer cottage in the forest. c:


“The only real security in life lies in relishing life’s insecurity.” 

~ Scott Peck



See All Images and Credits HERE

 Renee Finberg 'TELLS ALL' in her Blog of her Adventures in Design, Boca Raton and Rockport and Camden Maine, All Interior Design Services, Pathways, Journeys,Pathways, Journeys,Pathways, Journeys,Pathways, Journeys,The Road Less Traveled,The Road Less Traveled,The Road Less Traveled

2 comments:

  1. OH Nay-- I love every photo. I wish I could paint them all. Mamma

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH Renee I love this post Mammaxxxx Happy Valetines Dat sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete


THE COMMENTS ARE WHAT MAKES A GREAT POST!!!

Thanks for participating!!

About Renée Finberg

I have been in this business since the age of 22.

I love what I do and cannot imagine my life without Design.

Design Challenges are great.

And because of those challenges

I have imported fine antique pieces from Paris,

Designed and Manufactured Furniture,

Created Fantastic Window Treatments,

And solved all kinds of spatial & architectural issues

With my unique style.

If I can't find it, I create it.

My rooms would make excellent movie sets.

I am a visual, tactile and audio sensitive individual.

Creating is what I live for, not math, not spelling, not science.

Just Great Design.

Just imagine how it would be if each of us,

If only for a few hours of everyday,We could be in a space that is our very own.A place that is exactly the way we want it to be

Surrounded by all the things we wanted to see,

The atmosphere we wanted feel, smell and the sound we wanted to listen to.

Private Paradise

AS FEATURED IN:

AS FEATURED IN:

Creative Commons License

Creative Commons License
Renee Finberg 'TELLS ALL' in her Adventures in Design by Renee Finberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at www.reneefinberg.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at reneefinberg@gmail.ocm.

Protected Journalist